Tuesday, December 01, 2020

PANDEMIC:

As I was thinking about the impact of the COVD 19 pandemic, the isolation and problems this has caused, I thought of one of the required protocols. The mask, which has had many people upset and willing to participate in violent protests. Then I remembered a wood engraving I had made in 2016 that I titled "Face Mask". Wait a minute! I believe the epidemic began in 2019! So, three years before the epidemic began, I (somehow) came upon an idea to create an image of a mask, placed over an item that was my symbol of "Facetime" (A clock. Clocks have faces) My description of the print content is in the "See What I'm Saying?" theme on the website http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jimwest/facemask.html, (and is included in my book). And how are meetings and large gatherings often conducted now? Yes! Facetime, the no-contact online gathering alternative.
Then, pondering this further, I remembered that the "Face Mask" print was not the first print, about wearing a mask, and I searched back further in time to 1994 and found "Loose Mask"! http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jimwest/lsmsk.htm. Now I have to wonder: Was this me getting some kind of message from some kind of creepy mystical other-worldly influence? Or am I just so bored and isolated that I've gone bonkers and have no incentive to settle down and get a new wood engraving started?

No comments: